The 2022 Chevy Trailblazer has got everything going for it; it makes a great travel companion, it’s easy on gas, good-looking, and affordable. Dollar for dollar, this is one of the best-value new vehicles on the market. It falls into the subcompact SUV category in Chevy’s lineup, which means lots of cargo space paired with a fun-to-drive, high-off-the-ground vehicle that’ll slip right into even the tightest of parking spaces. SUVs have a reputation for being gas guzzlers, but this one is relatively eco-friendly with gas mileage of 30 MPG combined. While we’re comparing the 2022 Chevy Trailblazer to the greater SUV market, it’s also worth mentioning that it falls at the lower end of the SUV price spectrum with a starting MSRP of just $21,600.
The Ins and Outs
Inside and out, the effort and thoughtfulness that went into designing the 2022 Chevy Trailblazer are extremely evident. A myriad of paint options with two-toned options and available accessories like roof rails give the 2022 Chevy Trailblazer versatile good looks that can be customized to suit any taste and lifestyle. Even more impressive is the ample cargo space. The subcompact SUV is not a big vehicle, but it makes every inch count. It can fit up to five people comfortably, and passengers can stretch their legs thanks to the best-in-class 39.4 inches of rear-seat legroom.
There’s plenty of space for non-human cargo as well! It gets a maximum of 54.4 cubic feet of cargo space and 25.3 cubic feet with the rear seat up. The flat-folding front passenger seat is a game-changer – when it’s folded, the 2022 Chevy Trailblazer can accommodate items up to 8.5 feet of length, so you can be assured that whatever it is you’re packing is going to fit. An infotainment system compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto includes a 7-inch color touchscreen and comes standard in all trim packages.
All-wheel drive (AWD) availability is another of the Trailblazer’s highlights. Oftentimes, vehicle manufactures provide an AWD version of their cars via one of the higher trim packages, but the Trailblazer gives buyers the option of having any trim level with either front-wheel drive (FWD) or AWD. FWD varieties are lighter and get better gas mileage, while AWD Trailblazers will perform better in sub-optimal driving conditions and be more fit for off-roading.
Options, Options, Options
Any way you spin it, the 2022 Chevy Trailblazer is an affordable car. Chevy likes to accommodate a wide range of customers with its vehicles and trim package offerings, as demonstrated by the Trailblazer. For those who are balling on a budget, the base model Trailblazer LS is going to be the cheapest. If you’re feeling fancy and are willing to spend a little extra cash for additional features and functionality, you can find something that suits your needs amongst the LT, ACTIV, and RS trims.
At $21,600, the Trailblazer LS is the cheapest of the bunch. It’s a no-frills model that will get you (and all your stuff) from Point A to Point B, but it’s anything but basic. It has Chevy’s ECOTEC 1.2-liter turbocharged engine that gets 137 hp and 162 lb-ft of torque. 17-inch aluminum wheels are standard on this trim, and eight different color options will guarantee you’re riding in style.
For a starting MSRP of $23,800, the Trailblazer LT will come with a few extra perks. It comes standard with high gloss back 17-inch aluminum wheels and silver roof-mounted side rails, which give the Trailblazer more of an outdoorsy vibe while also being useful for hauling your outdoorsy gear. It also has LED fog lamps, remote start, and heated mirrors for a bit of added convenience.
ACTIV and RS
These two trims share several similarities, including a starting MSRP of $25,700, but the Active and RS are geared towards different drivers. Both are powered with a 1.3-liter turbocharged engine, which will get more horsepower and more torque than the aforementioned trims. The RS is sporty and stays true to Chevrolet’s red-and-black theme for their RS line. It comes standard with high gloss black 18-inch aluminum wheels that beg to be shown off in the big city. If Batman drove a 2022 Chevy Trailblazer, it would be the RS.
On the other hand, Poison Ivy would no doubt feel more at home in the ACTIV trim. It’s off-road-ready with standard features like grip-boosting sport terrain tires, off-road suspension tuning, and a skid plate to protect the bottom of the vehicle from damage. Both trims have two-tone painted roof options. The RS keeps it slick with either a Mosaic Black Metallic or Crimson Metallic roof, while ACTIV has colors that pop a little more: Summer White and Zeus Bronze Metallic.
The 2022 Chevy Trailblazer comes standard with safety features galore. Like many of Chevy’s new vehicles, every Trailblazer comes standard with Chevy Safety Assist, Chevy’s comprehensive safety package. It includes the following:
- Forward Collision Alert and Automatic Emergency Braking: This feature uses cameras to warn the driver of potential front-end collisions, increasing the likelihood of successful evasive action. Emergency braking automatically kicks in when backup is needed.
- Front Pedestrian Braking: When pedestrians are detected in the path of the vehicle, automatic emergency braking will activate to prevent an accident.
- Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning: A warning will sound when the vehicle starts to drift outside of your lane. The car can even steer itself back in the right direction automatically through mild steering inputs.
- Following Distance Indicator: This feature encourages drivers to maintain a safe following distance between their vehicle and others by measuring the distance between them and displaying this distance for the driver to view.
- IntelliBeam Auto High Beam Assist: We all forget to turn our brights on and off sometimes. With IntelliBeam Auto High Beam Assist, you don’t have to remember: they automatically flip on (and off) when driving conditions call for it.
In addition to Chevy Safety Assist, the 2022 Chevy Trailblazer is outfitted with ten standard airbags, plus these bonus safety features:
- Rear Vision Camera: This displays the area directly behind the vehicle when it’s backing up at slow speeds, making reversing easy.
- Teen Driver Technology: Geared towards new drivers, but helpful for anyone who wants to fine-tune their driving, Chevy’s Teen Driver Technology enables several customizable settings to encourage better driving. It also “grades” the driver by collecting data on acceleration, braking, etc., helping drivers of all tenures improve their skills.
It’s Not Size That Matters, but How You Use It
The 2022 Chevy Trailblazer knows how to work with what it’s got, and this subcompact SUV packs a big punch. It fully capitalizes on its size, with smart design maximizing interior space. Its winning combination of affordability, fuel efficiency, cargo space, and style make the Trailblazer a great choice for single-vehicle people and families. Having a car that does it all is impossible, but the 2022 Chevy Trailblazer comes pretty close. It can wear a lot of hats, all while keeping the price relatively low. Whether you need a car to drive to work in or a vessel for your weekend wanderings, this little subcompact SUV can get the job done.